Monday, September 5, 2011

Famous Artwork of the Month: The Great Wave

It is hurricane season, so it is only appropriate for the artwork of the month to be "The Great Wave", one of the most recognizable works of art from Japan.
"The Great Wave off Kanagawa" by Hokusai.
"The Great Wave" is seen often in pop culture (popular culture like t-shirts, advertising, etc) and reproduced in other type of artwork such as the sculptures below.


Below are examples of "The Great Wave" as seen in pop culture that I found online.




The mural on the side of a house used "The Great Wave" as inspiration. How is it different than the original print? "The Great Wave" is one of my favorite paintings and I also have done a mural of it when I was in high school, only much smaller in my bedroom. So, I know this painting well!

No comments:

Post a Comment